BSM Summer Semester
Experience Budapest Semesters in Mathematics, the highly acclaimed study-abroad program, for eight weeks of your summer. Live in the historic European city of Budapest, take introductory or upper-division courses from master instructors, and enjoy the excitement of living in a culture known for excellence in mathematics education and research.
- Classes are taught in English
- Classes meet two hours per day, four days a week
- Classes are small with a focus on problem-solving, student creativity, and group learning.
- Introductory Abstract Algebra
- Real Functions and Measures
- Advanced Mathematical Problem Solving
- Summer Research
Students are expected to take two full-credit courses.
The admission process is competitive. Applicants are required to fill out the online application, provide an official transcript and submit two letters of recommendation from mathematicians. Note: prerequisites for the summer program are the same as the academic year. Go to the Apply tab to continue the application process.
Deadline to apply is: March 1
Dates for Summer 2017
- Earliest Arrival for BSM housing is June 1st.
- Optional Hungarian Language Program begins on June 5th (5 days)
- Orientation and welcome will be on Friday, June 9th
- Classes begin Monday, June 12th
- Program ends on August 5th
Student Handbook-Summer 2016
Tuition Cost: $4,945 for two full-credit courses (for summer 2017)
Other Costs (approximate):
|Rent (including utilities)||$1,000|
|Meals (eating out liberally)||$900|
|Utilities, DSL, and phone||$180|
Please add: Transportation to and from Budapest and travel within Europe.
Optional Hungarian Language Program is offered during summer – typically one week before class starts COST: 36,000 HUF, 5 days
Students will be housed in furnished apartments approved by BSM near the historic center of Budapest. Lodging is arranged by our Hungarian BSM Staff along with roommate assignments upon completion of your BSM Housing/Roommate form after acceptance.
US and Canadian students will not need a Visa Residence Permit, as their stay will be less than 90 days. International students will need to check with their home country consulates for the most current and accurate information.
St. Olaf College serves as the School of Record for BSM and provides the official transcripts for the program.